Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: YA
Diagnosed with Stage IV Thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs...for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen year oldHazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel  lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being withAugustus is both an unexpected destruction and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

I made a mistake prior to reading this book; listening to hype, and reading other reviews about it.

I discovered this book through tumblr and youtube, and all I heard were great and high praises. This impaired my thinking prior to reading The Fault in Our Stars and increased my expectations tremendously. And now that I have finished this book, I can truly say that for the most part, it lived up to then.
Having never read a John Green book before, I was thoroughly impressed. I found myself almost rooting for Hazel as she lived each day on "borrowed time". I could relate to her teenage ways, and her attitudes towards certain things her mother, and others wanted. Hazel's non-cancer emotions and experiences were also very relatable, and that really drew me in. By the time Augustus entered the scene, I felt like I knew Hazel, and absorbed every emotion she felt towards him. I appreciated her relationships with everyone around her as well. Warning: This is definitely a tear inducing tale. 

This book is not a horribly tragic cancer novel, nor is it a sappy completely predictable love story. With a fair share of twists and turns, this book is the story of life, love, and realization.

The Fault in Our Stars gets 5/5 stars from me.

I recommend this book to all ages! Young adult and more. I feel that the message is great, and well needed. So, go out and read this book, but try not to read too many reviews! Go in with a clear judgement, and not an idea of what everyone else wants you to believe. I feel like if that was what I  would have done, I would have grown to have even more of an appreciation for it. Love it, hate it, even eat it! Just as long as you read it.

Some of my favorite Quotations:
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“The marks humans leave are too often scars.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

"The world is not a wish-granting factory.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

2 comments:

  1. I loved the book! I've lent it to half my teachers in school and they all loved it. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! And I have a feeling I'll be lending it out to a lot of my friends too!

      Delete